Halloween is a great time of year if you’re single and looking for a new romantic interest. Everyone is out and about, in a good mood and ready to have a fun evening. In fact, Halloween might be the best night of the entire year to meet someone and find some lovin’, so grab a costume or a mask and get out there.
Here are some tips on how to make the most of the evening and meet someone great:
1. If you’re going to a costume party, you must wear a costume, no matter what; no excuses. If you can’t get into the Halloween spirit, chances are that you will not be meeting anyone. (Nobody wants a party pooper!) If you’re having a really hard time, think of your costume as a way to get out of your shell and a way to become the person you always wanted to be. Think Clark Kent and Superman. Use your disguise to be daring, bold and flirty.
2. Choose a costume that makes you look and feel great so that you can confidently make the rounds at that party.Choose something that flatters your figure, makes you feel sexy and is fun to wear. Nothing is better than people telling you how great you look, so choose something that will elicit those compliments. Some ideas are a Sexy Fairy, a Foxy Lady or the Queen of the Nile.
3. Don’t choose a costume that is over-the-top scary or grotesque. It’s one thing to be a vampire or a zombie from The Walking Dead, but it is another thing to have bugs crawling all over you or to be carrying a severed, bloody leg. This is the night to be sexy and interesting, not creepy and awful.
4. Don’t choose a costume that is so odd that it will scare people away. If you can’t explain your costume in one sentence or less, choose something else. You don’t want someone to be curious about what you are, only to be frightened away by your oddness. Examples of some no-no’s are Pregnant Tinkerbell or a Wet Shirt Lady.
5. If you are stumped on an original costume, go with a play on words.A play on words costume is a great conversation starter, as people have to walk up to you and ask you what you are, and you can flirt with them while they try to guess. Some examples of good one are a Cat Burglar, Chick Magnet, White on Rice, Cereal Killer or Spice Rack.
6. Don’t choose a costume that requires you to be with a pack of people all night to pull it off. You do not want to be the whole bag of M&Ms or the cast of Glee because you will spend the whole night parading around with the group instead of meeting someone new.
7. If you’re looking for an excuse to approach someone who you want to meet, just compliment their costume. Everyone loves to be told that their costume is awesome. Use this to your advantage and march on up to that cutie and say you love his disguise. You will have him eating out the palm of your hand.
8. Choose a party that is not too large and crowded. It’s tempting to go to the party that is boasting a 1,500-person turnout with an all-night open bar and a celebrity DJ, but that will only be a see and be seen party. Choose something a little more intimate so you can meet someone and actually get to know them.
9. Pace yourself with your drinking.It’s okay to lose your inhibitions a little bit, but it is not okay to lose your mind completely. People sometimes stir up a little mischief on Halloween, so be aware and be alert. Never leave your drink alone when you head to the dance floor.
10. If you are interested in someone, get their email or cell number early on so they don’t disappear in the sea of costumes. It’s hard to keep track of people at a Halloween party because people get camouflaged by all the costumes. So, if you are interested, exchange digits quickly, so you can be in touch come November.
by Samantha Daniels
Samantha Daniels is a well-known professional matchmaker and relationship expert. She is the President of Samantha’s Table Matchmaking, a bicoastal matchmaking service which caters exclusively to busy, successful professionals who have no trouble getting dates, but who have yet to find that one person with whom to spend the rest of their lives. She is also the author of “Matchbook: The Diary of a Modern Day Matchmaker” (Simon & Schuster). You can follow her on Twitter @Matchmakersd. You can also follow her on her Curator page on OpenSky, where you can get advice and picks for shopping from Celebrities. For more information, you can go to www.SamanthaDaniels.info.